Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I could happen to you, it happened to me.

Yesterday I realized something scary. I am a real Mom. Some people think that giving birth is what makes you a Mom. They are wrong. Becoming a Mom is a slower process. It sneaks up on you and then out of the blue WHAM it smacks you. You suddenly realize you have become the cliche.

It happened to me yesterday.

Having dealt with a baby alone for one too many days in a row, I was exhausted. It was 7:00 and my relief from baby duty had finally come home (husband).

I didn't want to cook, and I was not about to resume baby duty for the 8:00 bath and bed time, so I offered to go out to get Noodles and Company for dinner.

Sweet freedom.

While sitting and waiting for my to go order I caught a glimpse of myself in a reflective surface and it hit me. I am a Mom. There I was, with a greasy pony tail, wearing one of Johns baggy shirts complete with spit-up on the shoulder. No make-up on, and terrible FLAT shoes.

I don't wear flat shoes. I wear heels. Any I never leave the house without at least mascarra on.

What happened to me?

I got home and John was taking care of bath time, so I had some rare time to myself.

When I am alone I don't know what to do with myself because it never happens anymore. I can't even use the bathroom or take shower without having to run out and attend to a crying baby. Hell, I haven't taken a shower with the door closed in months because I have to be able to see my baby. Then the two dogs decide the bathroom is a place to be and come in too.

Ronan won't sit through my shower happily without being entertained so I have to sing to him during the entire shower usually.

Try washing your hair to the beat of "Row Row Row your Boat".

Imagine. Me in the shower singing for an audience of a small baby and two dogs. An unappreciative crowd to say the least. And a shower is not the time a girl wants to entertain an audience. Well, maybe some girls, but I am not that type of girl.

What is a Mommy to do?

Like I said, Motherhood is not something you achieve when you give birth. It finds you weeks later. It is accomplished when you find yourself in public with spit-up on your shoulder and in your hair. When you see the reflection of some poor woman wearing her husbands clothes and a greasy pony tail and realize it is you.

2 people had this to say...:

Traci Fullerton said...

I have been there! The sad part is, when you finally get those rare few moments to yourself, you wonder what am I going to do with my self? You have a list of things to do a mile long, and you wonder where to start, how are the kids? Where are the kids? Who are they with? The list goes on and on and on..... I would not trade it for anything in the world. It is the best job!! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Ha, just wait till you have a second one... no pressure or anything. But taking care of a 2.5 year old while pregnant means I live in pajamas and the housework can wait because what's the point? It'll just get dirty again. Sometimes I just want to lock myself in the bathroom so I can get a minute of peace. But all in all, it's worth it :)