Sunday, April 5, 2009

The story of a sweater....




When I was little my grandma would knit sweaters for my sister and I. We got them on holidays, birthdays, and for no reason at all. They were always the most creative and cozy sweaters. Not the kind you don't want to wear. The very cute and made with love kind.
She would send them all the way over from England for us. We had matching ones, and different ones made just for us. I particularly remember a Rainbow Bright one she made for me. If it fit, I would still be wearing it today.
My Grandma passed away shortly after Ronan was born. She never thought she would live to see Great Grandchildren, but happily I proved her wrong.
My Mom brought one of these sweet sweaters to me. She had saved it for her Grandchildren. I am a total sucker for that kind of history and meaning in items. I love to keep and give proper recognition to those kinds of things. I don't like to think of them in closets.
Ronan tried it on, and it fits like it was made just for him. Nobody makes such quality sweaters with such love in my opinion and it tickled me to death to see him in something I wore 26 years ago, that was hand made by my funny little Grandma. I love her so much. I miss her. But mostly I am so happy for her because I know she is in heaven with her husband and she won't ever be lonely again. I can't wait to see her again and I know I will.
I want to take a photo of each of my babies in that sweater and when I am through having sweet chubby little babies (a sad day to be sure) I will frame the little sweater with a photo of each of my cherubs wearing it.
Maybe it will make it to my children's children some day.


Oh so cute! Thanks Grandma Jones and Nana!

3 people had this to say...:

Anonymous said...

I love to see him in the sweater. It would make my mom so happy! She gets to hug him after all by surrounding him with a lovingly made sweater. It was hilarious to me also that this appeared on the same day as the curtain video. Great Grandma would not approve of that at all. In England sheer curtains are called nets. Grandma's war cry as you approached the window in our house was, "Don't touch my nets!!!" She had them carefully pleated and arranged, and you touched them on pain of death!
Nana

Anonymous said...

Make sure to wash this yourself in Woolite on cold, and dry on low heat. Don't let John do it in one of his all in one batches!
Love,
Nana

Anonymous said...

Poor,sad Nana looks in vain for new pics! I think I am your most loyal follower, or maybe Ronan's most loyal follower!
Nana